Do you know a Fort Valley State University (FVSU) alumna or alumnus who deserves special recognition?
The true measure of a university’s greatness can be found in the achievements of its alumni. Fort Valley State University National Alumni Association, Inc. (FVSUNAA) is proud to recognize our alumni for their outstanding accomplishments and achievements. The purpose is to introduce the Alumni Awards Recognition Program (AARP) which is designed to recognize and thank individual alumni and chapters for their contributions, dedication, and commitment to FVSUNAA, Inc. and the University. It is our hope that this program will increase alumni engagement by recognizing and awarding chapters and individuals for extraordinary service and leadership to the university and alumni association and for the support and positive impact alumni continue to provide throughout the state and nation. Please help us honor the notable achievements and contributions that FVSU alumni are making to the University, in the Association, community and across the nation by nominating them for the following awards and recognitions.
- Chapter of the Year Award
- Alumna/Alumnus of the Year Award
- Distinguished Alumni Service Award
- Distinguished Service Award
- Young Alumni Award of the Year
- Alumni Leadership Award
- Chapters of Distinction
Nomination packages should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 5, 2018 at 11:59pm. Untimely submissions will not be considered. Alumni awards will be selected through a peer-to-peer review process. A confidential committee made up of FVSU alumni will meet to review eligible applications and submit award recommendations by June 15, 2018. Please address all criteria when preparing the nomination package(s). Letters of support are highly recommended, but are not required. The Office of Alumni Relations will officially notify nominees by June 30, 2018. The official Award Ceremony will be held on Saturday, July 21, 2018, during the 25th Fort Valley State University National Alumni Association, Inc. Biennial Conference on the campus of FVSU. Nominees are strongly encouraged to be present at the Award Ceremony.
Deadline for Award Submissions – June 5, 2018
Award Committee Review of Nomination Package(s) – June 15, 2018
Official Notification to Nominees (Finalists) – June 30, 2018
Award Ceremony – July 21, 2018 at the 25th Biennial Alumni Conference at the Pettigrew Center on the campus of Fort Valley State University
AWARDS CATEGORY ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
OF THE YEAR
This award will be presented annually to a chapter that has demonstrated extraordinary initiative and innovation in bringing area alumni together to provide support for FVSU. This award is given to a chapter, rather than an individual, and as such places a special emphasis on teamwork. The recipient must be an alumni chapter recognized by the Fort Valley State University National Alumni Association, Incorporated. The chapter must be in good financial standing, having paid their annual chapter assessment and Hunt-Bond-Troup assessment, both are due at the beginning of the year. The chapter must have shown innovation and initiative in one or more of the following areas: programming, recruiting new students and alumni members, engaging area alumni and fundraising. The chapter should submit proof of recruitment events held by them or in support of FVSU’s recruitment efforts. This includes Open House, Back-to-School events, Wildcat Nights, etc. The chapter must show an increase in membership by at least 10% of its total membership as of the end of the most recent (preceding) calendar year. The chapter must participate in a community service program and show proof of participation. The chapter must have a robust social media and/or public relations program to recruit students and alumni and provide information to the public-at-large. The chapter must provide financial support to students at FVSU via scholarships. Please indicate in the application the number of scholarships and/or dollar amount provided in support of scholarships. If the monies are not sent directly to FVSU for disbursement, please provide proof of financial support. Financial support to FVSU by at least three (3) individual members of the chapter to academics, athletics and/or band will be considered as support to the FVSU Alumni Association’s Giving Initiative for which those chapters will receive additional consideration.
young alumni award of the year
This award is given to an alumna or alumnus who has made outstanding contributions in one or more of the following ways and is age 35 or younger:
- Exceptional accomplishment in chosen field;
Exceptional service in local, state or national affairs;
Commitment to the service of others;
Commitment to Fort Valley State University National Alumni Association and its mission;
Potential for leadership/distinction in the long term; and
Exceptional service in support of the advancement and continued excellence of FVSU.
The nominee must be an active financial member of the Association at the local and/or National level. This award recognizes outstanding achievements in promoting the university through volunteer support of the Alumni Association (local and/or national), fundraising, class reunions, student and alumni recruitment, and career networking programs. Nominations packages should address the following:
- Did the nominee achieve an exceptional level of service while balancing the demands of being a recent graduate?
Was the candidate proactive in efforts to become involved in alumni activities?
Has this service been sustained over an extended period of time?
If not, has the service been strikingly innovative or substantially beneficial?
The Alumnus of the Year Award is the highest honor bestowed upon members of Fort Valley State University National Alumni Association, Inc. The hallmark of each recipient is a unique distinction of personal achievements and the unselfish giving of time, talents, and resources to alumni-related activities through an active chapter in good standing. This is complemented by personal contributions made to support the mission and purpose of both the University and the Alumni Association. The nominee must meet all of the following criteria:
- Graduated from Fort Valley State University (undergraduate or graduate) at least fifteen (15) years prior to nomination;
An active financial member in his/her local chapter (where one exists) and the FVSUNAA of FVSU;
Rendered significant service to the University, to the FVSU National Alumni Association, Inc., and to the local chapter as outlined below. (Service may be verified by the Awards Committee).
The nomination package must be accompanied by supporting documents that address the following contributions or services to FVSU or FVSUNAA, Inc.:
- Identify any programs/initiatives developed or collaborated on either locally, regionally or nationally;
List any University committee participation;
List any financial contributions to the University;
List any offices held (local or national);
List any FVSUNAA, Inc. committee participation;
List any participation in local area career/college fairs;
List any recruiting visits to local area schools and/or any personal referrals of qualified prospective students to the University;
List any active participation in FVSU’s Open House(s) or involvement in bringing students to FVSU;
List any student recruitment training received and/or any student recruitment workshops or training you provided to other alums/groups;
Provide details (date and location) of active involvement in fundraising projects for the local chapter, FVSUNAA, Inc. or FVSU.
The Distinguished Alumni Service Award recognizes alumni who have distinguished themselves in service to their communities and the university in ways far exceeding traditional business, professional, and civic duties. They have made significant contributions of time and/or philanthropy to the university, Association or their community. This award recognizes outstanding achievement and/or leadership demonstrated by the recipients in their chosen fields of interest or to the University or Association over an extended period of time. This award is designed to publicly acknowledge those individuals or chapters who have volunteered significant amounts of time, talents and resources to the University or the Association. This award honors an alumnus/alumna who through service, leadership and achievement has distinguished him/herself at the University or Association and the community at large. The recipient should, through the quality of his/her life, spirit and service, exemplify the ideals of the FVSUNAA, Inc. mission; a commitment to service; the pursuit of professional integrity and demonstrated work and accomplishments to honor the University, the Association, and the greater community. The recipient must be an active financial alumni member of a local chapter (if one exists) or on the national level.
The Distinguished Alumni Service Award recognizes individuals who have distinguished themselves in service to their communities and the University in ways far exceeding traditional business, professional, and civic duties. The recipient of this award does not have to be a FVSU alumnus.
- Nominee must have made significant contributions of time and/or philanthropy to the University, Association or their community.
- This award recognizes outstanding achievement and/or leadership demonstrated by the recipient(s) in their chosen fields of interest or to the University or Association over an extended period of time.
- This award is designed to publicly acknowledge those individuals who have volunteered significant amounts of time, talents and resources to the University or the Association.
- This award honors an alumnus/alumna who through service, leadership and achievement has distinguished him/herself at the University or Association and the community at large.
- The recipient should, through the quality of his/her life, spirit and service, exemplify the ideals of the FVSUNAA, Inc. mission; a commitment to service; the pursuit of professional integrity and demonstrated work and accomplishments to honor the University, the Association, and the greater community.
Alumn leadership award
The Alumni Leadership Award recognizes individuals and/or groups who have made an impact in creating a culture of support, philanthropy and engagement to the University, the Association and/or the community at large. Nominees devote their time and talents to making the University, Association and/or the community a better place. This award is designed to:
- Recognize alumni who volunteer their time to the University and/or Association
- Recognize alumni who have taken leadership roles at the University and/or within the Association;
- Recognize alumni who have maintained lifelong connections to the University and/or Association;
- Recognize multi-generational families of FVSU alumni;
- Recognize alumni who volunteer for their local community; and
- Recognize alumni who volunteer for leadership roles on alumni events and programs.
The Alumni Leadership Award is the highest honor for alumni volunteers, recognizing their dedication and commitment to improving the community. Fort Valley State University National Alumni Association, Inc. acknowledges exemplary volunteerism and devotion to the University and Association by presenting these awards annually in the following categories:
- Collaboration – For engagement through key partnerships within the FVSU/FVSUNAA, Inc. community;
- Student Engagement – For engagement of current or incoming students in meaningful connections with alumni
- Professional Development – For excellence in mentoring and/or career-focused programming
- Community Service – For engaging alumni through volunteerism and/or community outreach
- Philanthropy – For excellence in fostering philanthropy through the Fort Valley State University Foundation
- Communications – For excellence in strategic communications to promote and enhance alumni programming
Chapters of distinction
The Chapters of Distinction Award is reserved for those chapters that support the mission of the FVSUNAA, Inc. and operate according to the established bylaws and guidelines. Chapters of Distinction support, to the extent possible, those initiatives put forth by the FVSUNAA, Inc. Board of Directors.
- Chapters of Distinction are actively involved in such areas as student support and interaction, networking, community service, membership support, alumni and student recruitment, communications, alumni and student engagement, and infrastructure enhancements.
- Chapters of Distinction must meet all established financial requirements such as payment of assessments (annual and Hunt Bond Troup);
- Chapters of Distinction are responsible for timely preparation and submission of chapter and membership information. This includes change(s) in officers, current chapter rosters, end of year financial reports, and events;
- Chapters of Distinction are responsible for providing financial support to the University;
- Chapters of Distinction are responsible for conducting and supporting student and alumni recruitment;
- Chapters of Distinction should show an increase in membership through recruitment of new members and retention of current members. Ideally, the increase in membership should be at least 10% from the total of members from the previous year end.
To qualify for the Chapters of Distinction Awards, please provide information to support the criteria.